Thursday, September 17, 2026

A Taste of Home is Much Needed

 Yesterday was one of those days. I was exhausted. I was sad. Let me explain…

On Sunday, we believe it was Sydney that threw up at the door when we were at the neighbourhood party. On Monday, I noticed that she was panting a lot and had more than usual saliva. Tuesday…I thought for sure she had a UTI. She wanted in and out. She was pacing and acting strange, and seemed paranoid. She wanted to eat but would walk away from her bowl. I eventually hand fed her. I had to use our K9 water bottle to give her water, as she would not drink from her water bowl. She wanted nothing to do with River or Morgan. She would just spend her days and nights in our bedroom sleeping (I just realize now that that has been going on for awhile.) 

Her panting was increasing.

I sent a text to the Vet, along with a video. I can’t tell you how much he is a blessing to our household.

Yesterday, I brought her to see him, along with a Urine sample. Her urine was fine, her pancreas was fine. (She has a history of pancreatitis.) Her joints were flexible and fine. But, she had slight fever and heat alone the spine. 

What we are thinking is that she has infection along the spine, possibly from bacteria from the collerettes. She started getting collerettes last year. They seem to happen around August/September. This is the second year in a row that she gets them…possibly from sandfly bites. Yes, those dreaded no-see-ums. I hope she has no spinal damage.  She started antibiotics, gabapentin and meloxicam. She seems to be better already. I have, also, washed her with ProHex….which I will continue to do.

After supper, she cuddled with me on the bed. If I moved, her head came up and she pawed me to hold her. 

I know for sure now, that I will break when she passes. She is my BabyGirl, and she is such a good dog. Ugh, why do we do this to ourselves.


So, by chance….I came across a post this morning on social media that immediately brought me back into my Grandmother’s kitchen. Nana’s kitchen. I had no idea that this comfort food was called Fricot. But, the reminder brought back memories of her wisdom she passed on to us. Of her love of her family and animals and story-telling.

Fun fact: My grandmother’s last name was Frigault. Which derived from FRIGOT. Not quite the same….but, close 😉

I definitely plan on making this soon. Comfort food is much needed right now. Thought I would share some of my Acadian roots with you. Give it a try 💙⭐️🤍❤️

As for Sydney, she gets lots of love and care right now. She is on the mend. Updates will come your way as I find out more. Now, go give Acadian Chicken Fricot a try…

https://tourismnewbrunswick.ca/acadian-chicken-fricot-fricot-au-poulet 


No comments:

Post a Comment