Tuesday, June 8, 2010

When you're feeling down...

...or lonely, I say: find a friend. Someone who can be there for the company, and share something with you...like a movie. My intentions were for a bike ride last night, but thought....wt-heck...be lazy and rent a movie. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE movies! And, sometimes, most times, when I do something...I go all out! I rented Alice in Wonderland (which I enjoyed)...took a brief break and texted a friend about biking. [I was serious about getting exercise in!]

"He" did not feel like doing the "bike experience" so I brought up the fact that I had "Dear John" that I wanted to watch. I read the book, and loved it! A friend date had been set! Well....since I was kiboshing the exercise routine, I figure...why not grab some kettle chips [super crunchy ones] and a 2L of Rootbeer! :) Guilty pleasures!

Well, turns out he & his Mom were watching Wolfman...guess it was that kind of day for them, too. Then...we had to make a choice of movie selection. Since I am easy going and love watching movies...I let "the friend" pick out the next movie. #1 That was my first mistake! #2 Never let a man pick up a cheer-me-up movie....chances are......

He threw in the most depressing, fearful movie ever! THE ROAD. Have you seen it? Go rent it! It was about changes to our world....no electricity, food, sun, water...about survival, and losing the ones you love, and cannibalism. [Gag!] It really makes you stop and think: would I have the strength to survive something like this?! And, in the meantime, talk about feeling down and lonely. Thanks, "the friend"...thanks!

But, on a serious note: it was a good movie. I enjoyed it, even though I cried - [this is the "guilt factor" thrown in for good measure] It was a good movie and looked at different personalities. Made me think - cripes - my life isn't that bad! So...seriously, thank you "the friend" for sharing your time and snacks. Turned out to be a great evening after all! [tear rolls down the cheek]

2 comments:

  1. Though I haven't yet seen The Road, I did read the book a couple of years ago.

    Depressing and fearful yes, but as a father, it had a huge impact on me.

    I don't know how they have presented it in the film, but in the novel the bond between father and son, and the father's desire to do anything he had to in order to protect his precious little boy was touching and inspiring beyond belief.

    That novel stimulated so many philosophical thoughts for me....and don't tell anyone, but I cried more than once as I read it.

    Then I hugged my boys for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,...as a Mom of 2 boys...I could NOT imagine ever having to go through that. OMG, the fear and heartache of running into what they have is not something I want to ever have to face.

    ReplyDelete